Inheritance Tax Mitigation (IHT)
Inheritance Tax (IHT) is said to be the only voluntary tax in the UK tax system and with our expertise in inheritance tax mitigation it is possible to reduce or remove liability. However, do nothing and 40p in every pound of your inheritance or estate could make it’s way into the government’s hands.
Call us today for a free, no obligation review so that we can help you protect your assets for the future.
Unfortunately, most of us leave it too late to consider any form of Inheritance Tax Mitigation and all too often the wealth we want to pass on when we die is substantially reduced. The earlier we plan for this, the better.
Will you be triggering inheritance tax?
- If an individual’s estate on death + any gifts in the previous 7 years are worth more than £325,000 (includes everything) there will be an inheritance tax charge. The £325,000 band is for an individual so couples have a nil rate band of £650,000.
- From 6th April 2017, an additional nil rate band will be slowly introduced, initially giving an additional £100,00 to set against the value of the family home IF this is left to the direct descendant.
- If an individual has received any gifts, such as a deposit for a home or a helping hand with a bill and the donor dies within 7 years of the gift (gifts are usually only captured if over a value of £3,000 but this threshold is for the total gifts gifted by the donor so a gift of £2,000 could become chargeable if the donor also gifted £2,000 to someone else in the same tax year).
“…even if you think it’s too late, we have Inheritance Tax Mitigation strategies that could protect your wealth”
To put it bluntly wouldn’t you rather the whole of your wealth passed to the people you choose?
We can review your estate or the estate of your family members, establish the potential exposure to Inheritance tax and propose both long term and short term strategies to mitigate your tax liability.
What’s in it for you?
There are a number of reasons why you might find this information invaluable:
- It’s your money – One of the main reasons why our clients work so hard and spend so much time away from their families is so that they can provide for them. The idea of 40% of that sacrifice not going to their family is hurtful. We can minimise or even remove this hurt
- The sooner you begin, the more effective it is – put simply, the more time you have, the more efficient you can be with tax
- The amount saved can leave your family free of troubles – in most cases, the savings for inheritance tax are tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds. Many clients derive great comfort from knowing that, by planning alone, they will be able to provide enough money to leave their families to cope with whatever life throws at them
- Free advice that is, in almost every case, the best value for your time – to see whether we can help, all you need to do is give us a call. Moving forward, in order to save you tens or hundreds of thousands of pounds, we only need to have a few hours of your time. In almost every case this is time well spent
How have we helped? Here are some case studies
- How gifting a house saved a family £72,000 in inheritance tax
- How advice from Osbornes on a business sale helped save £160,000 in inheritance tax
- How structuring a gift of investment property saved a family £60,000 in inheritance tax
Even if you think it’s too late we have Inheritance Tax Mitigation strategies that could help, contact us today.